1. Dates: January 1 – February 28
2. Tournament Registration Options:
Full General Tournament = $25/angler
Lunker Pool (optional) = $10/angler
General Tournament 1-Day Pass = $10/angler
**All anglers must register by 7am for that day’s catch to count**
3. Cash payout based on number of anglers entered (see prize structure/payout grid on website for full details,
prize levels, and additional promotional awards).
4. Additional prizes to be awarded (when available - see website for details):
a. Grand Prize: Random draw from all (7) 1st place winners drawn at the awards
ceremony (when available).
b. Overall Prizes for largest fish caught on a specific product (picture or video may be
required) or during a specific time period.
c. Monthly Prizes for overall largest fish entered each month during the event.
d. Weekly Prizes and Awards for the largest fish in each category weighed-in each week.
e. Fish Mounts & additional cash awards at higher attendance levels.
f. Tournament Angler Achievement Awards (Pike and Trout over 20 lbs, Walleye over 15
lbs, Pickerel over 6 lbs, Crappie over 2.5 lbs, Yellow Perch over 2.25 lbs, and Panfish
over 1.50 lbs).
g. Product specific awards - requires either a picture or video clearly showing the product
being used. Picture/video must be submitted on the same day the fish is entered.
h. Shanty Promotion (when available): Shanties at each station vary, and may be used by the
station for in-store promotions. Entries are given for registering for the Winter Classic, stopping
in to the store, or with some in-store promotions. While every effort will be made to outfit every station
with a shanty or other significant item, all stations may not be outfitted with a Shanty Promotion item.
All Shanty Promotional items will be listed on the Shanty Promo webpage and their location. Winners
will be drawn by a random number generator with the numbers corresponding to an angler entry #.
5. Lunker Pool pays out 100% of money taken in, top (3) largest fish in all (7)
categories place, 21 places total in a 50%-30%-20% split per category.
a. Lunker Pool must be entered at time of Registration.
b. If no 2nd or 3rd place winners, 1st place takes all three places.
6. No minimum or maximum age, all anglers are considered equal. Youth anglers (16 & under) must have
an adult to sign-off and fill out a w-9 form for any award valued at $600 or greater.
7. Fish from other derbies and tournaments can be entered into the Classic pending
other Tournament’s rules and regulations.
8. Ceremony & Awards Dinner: In Mid-March following the conclusion of the Winter
Classic Event at 5pm at Capt. Jack's on Sodus Point or the alternative announced location.
a. First, second & third place winners in the Tournament must be present at the
awards ceremony with their fish by 3pm to be eligible to receive prize(s) and/or
money. A Prime Rib dinner will be included for the Top 3 winners in each category and
a guest (other dinner options available upon request, additional dinner tickets
available for $25/person). Other placements do not need to be present but are
encouraged to attend (dinner fee of $25/person applies).
b. Top (3) placing fish in every category must be kept and brought to the
awards ceremony for inspection, verification, pictures, and possible mounting.
c. Anglers do not have to be present to receive door prize (door prizes to be drawn
using driver’s license number or if not licensed, name & birth date). Prize will be
shipped to address on file or delivered to the weigh-in station nearest the angler's home
address. Angler will be notified and have 30 days to pick up prize once delivered or it becomes
property of the weigh-in station.
9. Categories: 7 (Lake/Brown/Steelhead/Rainbow Trout, Northern Pike, Walleye,
Pickerel, Yellow Perch, Crappie, SunFish/BlueGill).
a. Enter any fish caught in New York State, any place, on any waterway (ice,
open water, rivers, tributaries, etc.) by legal angling methods per NYS DEC
regulations. Each fish entered must be registered by the angler who caught the
fish – no sharing between anglers.
b. Fish must be fresh and cannot be frozen.
c. Fish must be free from foreign objects: lures, hooks, and anything in it's mouth (bait, minnows, weeds,
d. Anglers can place in more than one category, but can place only once in each
category. If an angler catches a larger fish by weight in the same catagory, the lesser of the two is omitted.
e. Fish must be weighed-in and entered on the day it was caught, unless caught between
4pm and 11:59pm with no weigh-in station available:
After Hours Protocol:
1.If caught between 4pm and 11:59pm, angler must take a photo at the time the fish is caught and
immediately send to headquarters via cell phone to (585) 330-0494 and include angler’s name, time and
location of catch, and approximate weight. The fish must then be weighed in the following morning.
2.Angler must let the weigh-in know the fish was caught the previous evening to be paired with the photo
f. Minimum fish sizes are as follows:
Northern Pike = 8.00 lbs
Trout = 8.00 lbs
Walleye = 4.00 lbs
Pickerel = 3.00 lbs
Yellow Perch = 1.00 lbs
Crappie = 1.00 lbs
Panfish = 0.50 lbs
g. All fish must be entered with a Driver’s license name & number (others will
use their name & birth date).
h. If a witness to catch was present, their name is to be entered along with the fish.
i. Tournament ends at 11:59pm on February 28th. Angler and fish must be in
weigh-in line at any weigh-in station by 11:59pm, February 28 to be eligible.
j. No use of gaffs on any fish. Using a gaff will invalidate the catch.
k. Hybrid species will not be allowed with the exception of Panfish (sunfish & bluegill)(i.e. cross between
pickerel and muskie). If a Top 3 placing fish is presumed to be a hybrid specimen, the fish will be taken
to the NYS DEC for final clarification. Their judgement will be considered final.
10. Opening of online and weigh-in registration varies. All Early Bird promotions are on
a first come first served basis while supplies last and vary by station.
11. Fish must be entered at official NYS Winter Classic weigh-in stations. Contact
weigh-ins for hours of operation. A leaderboard of current winning fish will be
posted daily and updated multiple times per day when possible. For an up-to-date list
of tackle shops & leading fish, go to: http://www.nyswinterclassic.com
12. Weight determines winner, in case of a tie earliest entry takes the higher place unless entered on the same
day, then higher seed is determined by length.
13. Tournament recommends fishing with a witness in case of a dispute, but not
14. Owners of weigh-in locations may not enter fish for themselves at their own shop. If a fish is caught by the
owner of a weigh-in location who is entered in the event, they must weigh-in their fish at a different location
than their own shop.
15. Any angler may be subject to lie detector testing. If angler fails test, all prizes
and/or all money will be forfeited and name submitted to all other tournament
16. Any individual questioning an entry, will be required to submit a dispute form
and pay a $500 deposit for a lie detector test to be given. If the accused angler
fails the lie detector test, the $500 deposit is refunded, and the accused angler is
placed on the blacklist of anglers who will not be allowed to enter any future event.
17. Any angler dispute must be presented in writing to the tournament director prior to
the start of the ceremony at 5pm in March.
18. All pictures and videos submitted to the tournament become the sole property of the
tournament and can be used in any way deemed appropriate by the Tournament
19. All decisions by the Tournament Officials will be final.
20. All participants agree to enter at their own risk and with full knowledge of these rules
and agree to abide by them in their entirety, and likewise agree not to hold any entity in
association with the Winter Classic Tournament liable for any mishap or misfortune.
21. Questions? Email: email@example.com or call Tim Thomas at (585) 330-0494.