Main Event Rules & Regulations
1. Dates: July 1 - August 31
2. Tournament Registration Options:
Full General Tournament = $25/angler
General Tournament 1-Day Pass = $10/angler
Lunker Pool (optional) = $10/angler
Catch & Release Event = $25/angler (registration only available online)
(NOTE: Anglers may enter both the main event and the C&R event, separate entries apply)
**All anglers must register by 7am for that day’s catch to count**
3. Cash payout based on number of anglers entered (see payout grid and leader boards on website for full details,
prize levels, and additional promotional awards).
a. Youth anglers (16 and under) may register in the general tournament. There will be additional specific prize
awards for youth anglers (based on sponsorship supplies).
4. Additional prizes to be awarded (when available):
a. Grand Prize: Random draw from all (7) 1st place winners in the main event plus the (5) 1st place C&R winners
drawn at the awards ceremony.
b. Overall Prizes for largest fish caught on a specific product (picture or video may be required)(when
c. Cash Prizes for overall largest fish entered during the event:
d. Monthly cash awards for the overall largest fish entered each month (starts at 500 anglers).
e. Weekly awards for the largest fish of each category (when available and/or with 1,000+ anglers).
f. Fish Mounts, large prize items, & additional cash awards at higher attendance levels.
g. Product specific awards - requires either a picture or video clearly showing the product being used.
Picture/video must be submitted on the same day the fish is entered. (when available)
h. Large prize package winners (valued $600 or more) will be responsible for all fees, taxes, registration,
delivery/pick-up, any other associated expenses. In some cases cash supplements may be added to offset
i. $250 cash award from LOTSA for the largest valid Summer Classic Salmon caught by a LOTSA member.
"LOTSA Member" must be noted on the official Summer Classic Weigh-In form to be valid.
j. Angler Achievement Awards for anyone who enters a fish that reaches the following minimums:
Salmon = 35 lbs
Lake Trout = 24 lbs
Walleye = 14 lbs
Crappie = 2.50 lbs
Yellow Perch = 2.25 lbs
Panfish = 1.50 lbs
5. Lunker Pool pays out 100% of money taken in, top (3) largest fish in all (7) categories place, (21 places total).
a. Lunker Pool must be entered before tournament starts or at time of Registration starting July 1st.
6. No minimum or maximum age, all anglers are considered equal.
7. Fish from other derbies and tournaments can be entered into the Classic pending other Tournament’s rules and
8. Ceremony & Awards Dinner: September 21st, at the Batavia Downs Casino Resort.
a. First, second & third place winners in the Tournament must be present at the awards ceremony with their fish
by 3pm to be eligible to receive prize(s) and/or money. All other placements are not required to
attend but are encouraged to attend in case of a disqualification.
b. Top (3) placing fish in every category must be kept until all weigh-ins are verified at the end of the event. All
Top-3 anglers must bring the fish to the awards ceremony for inspection, scanning, verification, pictures, and
c. Anglers do not have to be present to receive door prizes drawn before or during the event (door prizes to be
drawn using registration number), however anglers must be present to win door prizes given out at the award
ceremony. Prizes will be shipped to address on file or delivered to the weigh-in station nearest angler's
home address during our fall tour of the state (usually November). Angler will be notified and have 30 days to
pick up prize or it becomes the property of the weigh-in station.
9. Categories (Main Event): 7 (Salmon, Lake Trout, Walleye, Rock Bass, Crappie, Yellow Perch,
(Catch & Release Event): 5 (Large Mouth Bass, Small Mouth Bass, Carp, Catfish, Northern Pike)
a. Enter any fish caught in New York State, any place, on any waterway (open water, rivers, tributaries, etc.) by
legal angling method per NYS DEC regulations. Each fish entered must be registered by the angler who
caught the fish – no sharing between anglers.
b. Fish caught via bow fishing and snagged/foul-hooked fish are not eligible. Only fish caught via rod & reel are
eligible. No gaffs are allowed to land fish.
c. Fish does not have to be alive, but must be fresh - no cloudy eyes, slimy/discolored gills, etc.
d. Fish must be free from foreign objects: lures, hooks, and anything in it's mouth (bait, minnows, weeds, etc.).
e. Anglers can place in more than one category, but can place only once in each category.
f. Fish must be weighed-in and entered on the day it was caught, unless caught between 4pm and 11:59pm with
no weigh-in station available.
1.If caught between 4pm and 11:59pm, angler must take a photo at the time the fish is caught and
immediately send to headquarters via cell phone to (585) 330-0494 and include angler’s name, time and
location of catch, and approximate weight. The fish must then be weighed in the following morning.
2.Angler must let the weigh-in know the fish was caught the previous evening to be paired with the photo
g. Minimum fish sizes for the Summer Classic are:
Walleye: 3.00 lbs
Lake Trout: 5.00 lbs
Crappie: 1.00 lbs
Yellow Perch: 1.00 lbs
Panfish: 0.50 lbs
Salmon: 15.00 lbs
Brown Trout: 5.00 lbs
Rock Bass: 0.50 lbs
Bowfin/Dogfish: Any Size
Drum/Sheepshead: Any Size
(This is to prevent smaller fish from being kept and to ease tracking at tournament headquarters.)
h. All fish must be entered with a Driver’s license name & number (others & youth will use their name & birth
i. If a witness to catch was present, their name is to be entered along with the fish.
j. Tournament ends at 11:59:59pm on August 31st. Angler and fish must be in weigh-in line at any weigh-in
station by 11:59:59pm, August 31st to be eligible.
k. Use of gaffs on any fish is prohibited.
10. Online registration opens March 1st, weigh-in station registrations open March 1st. Any Early Bird promotions
are on a first come first served basis and while supplies last (when available).
11. Fish must be entered at official NYS Summer Classic weigh-in stations which may vary from the Winter Classic
Tournament - see official weigh-in map for current locations. Contact weigh-ins for hours of operation. A
leaderboard of current winning fish will be posted daily and updated multiple times per day (when possible).
For an up-to-date list of tackle shops & leading fish, go to: http://www.nyssummerclassic.com
12. Weight determines winner, in case of a tie earliest entry takes the higher place unless entered at the same
time, then higher seed is determined by length.
13. Tournament recommends fishing with a witness in case of a dispute, but a witness is not required.
14. Any angler may be subject to lie detector testing. If angler fails test, all prizes and/or all money will be forfeited
and name submitted to the media and all other tournament directors. Any anger caught cheating in another
tournament event will be disqualified from this event and not allowed to participate in future years.
15. Any individual questioning an entry will be required to submit a dispute form and pay a $500 deposit for
a polygraph test to be given. If the accused angler fails the polygraph test, the $500 deposit will be refunded.
16. Any angler dispute must be presented in writing to the tournament director prior to Sept. 8th or the start of the
ceremony in September (whichever occurs first).
17. In the event of a disqualification, all monies from the main event and Lunker Pool will be reallocated and
mailed out after all disqualifications have been verified, reported, and all funds have been redeposited for
18. Any cash and/or prize awarded in any combination with a retail value exceeding $350 may require a W-9 IRS
tax form to be filled out prior to release of the Prize/Award. 1099 forms will then be issued for any cash prize
and/or award won exceeding $600 in value based on the combined yearly total of all NYS Classic and Ice Pro-
19. All photos and videos submitted to the tournament are considered the property of the Classic events and can
be used in any way deemed appropriate by the Tournament Officials.
20. All decisions by the Tournament Officials will be final.
21. All participants agree to enter at their own risk and with full knowledge and acceptance of these rules and agree
to abide by them in their entirety, and likewise agree not to hold any person or entity in association with the
NYS Classic or Ice Pro-Am Tournaments liable for any mishap or misfortune.
22. Questions? Email: firstname.lastname@example.org or call Tournament Director Tim Thomas at (585) 330-0494.
(see "Captain's Pool" on main webpage)
a. $165 buy in per boat or guide ($35 to main event for Captain's/Guide's registration, $30 to Largest fish by
registered angler awards, $90 to the collective pool, $10 to cover admin costs).
1. If any mate(s) or crew members wish to enter fish into the main event, they must register as a single angler.
b. Collective pool payout based on number of participating charter/guide services:
1. Pool will have 90% pay-out and be split 50/50 to salmon and trout divisions (largest fish in each
division by weight), Top-3 to start (50/30/20) and increase in placements as follows:
1-40 participants = Top 3 (50/30/20)
41-80 participants = Top 5 (50/20/15/10/5)
81-100 participants = Top 7 (40/20/15/10/6/5/4)
101+ participants = Top 10 (25/20/15/11/9/6/5/4/3/2)
2. Overall largest fish by weight in each division place. In the event of a tie, the first fish weighed in takes higher
place. If entered at the same time, tie is broken by length to the nearest 1/4" rounded down.
3. Salmon Division includes all salmon species, Trout Division includes all trout species.
4. Any fish caught on/with the registered charter boat / guide service by any client or personnel on board is
eligible for the collective pool. Anglers do not need to be registered for the Summer Classic.
c. Additional Cash Awards: (with 20 or more charters entered)
(1) $500+ cash award for the charter/guide with the overall largest salmon (all species) caught on a
charter/guide trip by a registered Summer Classic angler (includes captain and registered mate(s)).
(1) $500+ cash award for the charter/guide with the overall largest Trout (Lake Trout or Brown Trout) caught
on a charter/guide trip by a registered Summer Classic angler (includes captain and registered mate(s)).
(1) $500+ cash award for the charter/guide with the overall largest Steelhead/Rainbow Trout caught on a
charter/guide trip by a registered Summer Classic angler (includes captain and registered mate(s)).
g. Fish must be weighed-in on the day caught, unless after 4pm in which case the after-hours protocol for the
main event must be followed to weigh-in the fish the next morning.
h. Any fish that places in the Top-3 in the Summer Classic main event by a client who resides outside of NY State,
may be represented by the Charter/Guide captain at the awards ceremony - fish and angler/representative must
be present at the awards.